Archbishop Bernard Moras’ memo to CM

November 7, 2011 by  
Filed under Church, India, Karnataka, newsletter-lead, Persecution

Daya Bhop Karnataka, November 6, 2011: On hearing of the attack on the church at Kankanady, Archbishop Dr Bernard Moras of Bangalore sent a memorandum to chief minister D V Sadananda Gowda expressing shock that within days of his delegation meeting him in person and seeking protection to churches in the state, this attack had taken place. He has demanded that a thorough inquiry be held into the matter.

The memo further says that there was no such fear or attacks prior to September, 2008. “This kind of attacks on churches and on Christians is continuing unabated since then. The life of the Christians has become vulnerable and people are living in constant fear of being attacked and reviled. There is a systematic campaign to malign our institutions and our good work,” it said. 

Mangalore: Bishop Aloysius Paul D’Souza Condemns St Alphonsa Church Attacks

Mangalore, Nov 5: The Catholic Church dedicated to St Alphonsa in Kankanady was attacked by a miscreant on Thursday November 3 night. The holy monstrance was desecrated and statues of Jesus were damaged.

“It was a deplorable act,” said Bishop Aloysius Paul D’Souza of Mangalore, “When Christians live in harmony with people of other faiths, such attacks on churches and Christian Institutions disturb harmony.”

The Bishop called upon people to maintain peace and harmony in such difficult times. “It is very sad and painful to note that for the past three years a series of attacks have taken place on churches, convents, places of worship and Church properties but no arrests were made and no action was taken against the miscreants.”

He also said that those responsible for the attacks must be brought to justice and compensation be paid.

Mangalore: Bishop of Beltangady Condemns Vandalism at St Alphonsa Church

Mangalore, Nov 4: Bishop Lawrence Mukkuzhy of Beltangady on Friday November 4 said that in the 23-year history of St Alphonsa Catholic Church, no incident of vandalism had ever taken place, and the rampage on Thursday November 3 night was a dastardly act which had hurt the feelings of all.

“Such incidents should not occur in any religious center. At present police have extended good support, however, the real motive behind the incident is still a mystery,” he said.
 
Addressing reporters a day after the rampage at the Church, the Bishop of Beltangady diocese said that the incident has been condemned by all. “In fact, it is a sad occurrence and has hurt our faith,” he said.

Fr Sebastian Chelakkappally, parish priest of the Church said that he was not in town for the last two days and returned only on Friday morning. As per information given to him by assistant parish priest Fr Shibi Puthiyara, the latter along with some of the hostel students were in the dining hall when a stranger entered the room. “Fr Shibi asked him why he had come, but instead of answering he ran towards the church hall and started damaging the crucifix and the statue of Mother Mary. Thereafter he entered the sanctuary. At this, Fr Shibi tried to call other members and when they arrived, the stranger came out through the sacristy wearing only a piece of white cloth which was on the side table of the altar. He tried to run away.

“Meanwhile all the residents came out and a few of them went towards the gate and stopped him from running away. Thereafter, the assistant parish priest and other members noticed that the cupboard which was placed in the sacristy was open and holy vestments were scattered around, and a statue of Jesus Christ was put down and damaged, while monstrance was thrown on the floor. People gathered there also saw the clothes and chappals worn by him thrown in the sacristy,” Fr Sebastian explained.
 
He said that nobody is sure whether the stranger had entered the Church hall prior to coming to the dining hall as one of the doors of the church was open.
 
“Fr Shibi then informed some of the committee members of the parish who in turn informed the police. Immediately, police arrived and arrested him,” he said.
 
Fr Sebastian requested the government authorities to take necessary legal action against the accused.
 
To a query, he said that there are no sisters or ladies at the church, except for a cook who is aged 50-plus.
 
Elizabeth, a parishioner and Denis D’Silva were present.

– daijiworld, mangalorean

Enter Google AdSense Code Here

Comments are closed.