Kidnapped Christian remains held in Cameroon and Boko Haram takes revenge

September 19, 2016 by  
Filed under newsletter-world

Nigeria, September 16, 2016: One of the four Christians in Kolofata, northern Cameroon, kidnapped by suspected Boko Haram militants on 12 August remains held. Two women were initially released to raise a ransom to secure the release of the other two, a man and a woman, but the ransom only led to the woman being released. It has also emerged that the Christian father-of-three killed in a separate attack in Kolofata last month was probably targeted because six months ago he helped tackle four Boko Haram militants.

In the first incident, the four Christians were taken by a group of eight assailants whilst working in fields. The two women first released got hold of the 100,000 FCFA (£130, $172) requested by the militants to secure the release of the remaining two, who are the husband and mother-in-law of one of the released women. But only the mother-in-law was released and she was told that, despite the ransom payment, they were not going to release her son, who is a father of seven. He is now believed to have been moved away from the area.

In the other incident in Kolofata, on 14 August, residents were forced to flee their fields and properties after attackers, again believed to be linked to Boko Haram, looted the town. Gazawa Alhadji, a father of three, was killed. Barnabas Fund has been told by a senior Cameroonian church leader that in all likelihood this is because six months ago he was part of a group which tackled four Boko Haram members as they headed for the Kolofata market. The government gave him a medal for bravery and a reward of 600,000 FCFA (£780, $1,030). This was apparently seen as a challenge to Boko Haram who then did everything they could to kill Gazawa.

– barnabas persecution update

Enter Google AdSense Code Here

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!