Pune techie death: Police may seek ban on outfit. Another attacked the same night

June 7, 2014 by  
Filed under newsletter-india

hindu rashtra senaPune, June 05, 2014: Two days after a 24-year-old Muslim man was killed allegedly by members of the radical right-wing outfit, the Hindu Rashtra Sena (HRS), the Pune police are contemplating banning the organisation. Seventeen people, all below the age of 30, belonging to the HRS have been arrested on charges of murder, and remanded in police custody.

Mohsin Shaikh, an IT professional, was beaten to death on Monday night by members of the HRS, in what is emerging as a hate crime. The youngsters were incited by rumours that a Shivaji statue was stoned, police said.

Last week, the city witnessed communal tensions after morphed derogatory photographs of Shivaji and Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray went viral on social media. More than 200 buses were vandalised and 180 people have been arrested so far.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Pune Police Commissioner Satish Mathur said the police were in the process of collecting information about the organisation. “We will send a proposal to the central government suggesting a ban on the outfit.”

Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan also said: “We will probe the organisations behind this, and if it was a conspiracy. We will also investigate if it was linked to the recent polls.”

Stating that Mohsin was innocent, Home Minister R.R. Patil said, “The government will take strict action against people involved in the murder and violence. We will also investigate people who posted the controversial photos on Facebook.”

The BJP MP from Pune said some repercussions to the Facebook post derogatory of Shivaji and Bal Thackeray were “natural.” “What appeared on Facebook was very painful. Some amount of repercussions was natural,” Anil Shirole told reporters outside Parliament.

‘Proxy servers used’

Rashmi Rajput reports from Mumbai: The Maharashtra police have little hope of tracking the culprits who posted the derogatory pictures on Facebook. The Ministry of External Affairs had written to Facebook seeking technical assistance in the case. They were yet to revert formally but said informally that the contents were posted using proxy servers, a senior police officer told The Hindu, on condition of anonymity.

– the hindu

Pune techie murder case: Another man was attacked by same gang the night Mohsin was killed

Amin Harun ShaikhPune, June 06, 2014: It now appears that trouble was brewing in Unnati Nagar near Hadapsar for nearly an hour on Monday evening when a gang of 30 to 40 men drove around the area on their bikes, pelted stones and attacked at least one more person before they targeted Mohsin Mohammed Sadique Shaikh (28) and beat him up with hockey sticks, killing him.

The other person who was attacked, Amin Harun Shaikh, told TOI on Thursday, “I was on my way home after offering namaz. A mob came and first broke the board of Ram Raheem Mitra Mandal. They went about hitting people and they hit me too. I ran and hid inside a shop,” he said, showing his injured left hand.

“On Monday evening, I saw 30-40 people pelting stones in the area and I got scared. Later, I saw a body lying behind a car on the road in front of my office,” said Rajesh Lad, an LIC agent.

Fifteen youths have been arrested and two minors detained in connection with Mohsin’s murder. All 17 are allegedly members of the Hindu Rashtra Sena.

Mohsin had gone to Shaheen Anjuman Masjid, a small local mosque in Unnati Nagar, to offer prayers, after which he went to pick up his dinner from a local tiffin centre.

A senior police officer said Mohsin wasn’t attacked because he was taken to be the one who had uploaded an offensive FB post, but simply because he sported a beard and was wearing a Pathan suit which marked him out as a Muslim. On top of the FB controversy, there were rumours in Pune that evening about girls from both communities being molested — a rumour that proved to be untrue.

PM Modi must condemn Sadique Shaikh’s murder — and repeal draconian Section 66A

On Thursday, the Centre wrote to the Maharashtra government seeking a report on the Pune murder. Asked about the Centre’s letter, chief minister Prithviraj Chavan said the state normally keeps sending reports over such incidents to the Centre and that he was not aware if there was a demand for a special report on the issue.

Meanwhile, the city police told TOI that they did not anticipate events as they unfolded on Monday night. The local police team was at Hadapsar at that time, which was also tense, and had rushed to Unnati Nagar on getting information of trouble. “This is a largely peaceful area and we did not anticipate any trouble here,” a local police official said.

Satav Plot, Lane No 2, where Mohsin was murdered, has remained shut for the last three days. While a few shops started opening on Thursday, residents said they were still shaken.

An uneasy calm prevailed in the area on Thursday. “Police came here on Monday night, but there is no bandobast after the murder. We are all scared as there has never been any such crime in this lane in the past. Since the murder, all shops have stayed shut in the area and have opened only today. There is no police patrolling,” said Akash Shitole, a local resident.

– toi

Enter Google AdSense Code Here

Comments are closed.